I LOATHE oatmeal. I have loathed it my entire life. I just simply can't swallow it. It totally grosses me out. My children eat the stuff every single morning between ages 1 and 2. They all like it. The little boy I babysit, Noah, eats it almost every single day. He walks in my house every morning and says, "E-mom!" That means oatmeal. He's working very hard at saying "oat....meal". So cute.
Back to my hate of oatmeal.
My sweet new friend that I blog-stalked and emailed about going green, Rachel Supercinski, sent me this recipe for oatmeal. I thought, "Yeah right! But I will give it a try because it's SO healthy."
HOLY COW, BATMAN! This is my new favorite thing. I eat it every morning for breakfast, and sometimes for dinner when I'm in a rush. My older two kids won't even taste it, but Ava and Noah LOVE it.
Without further ado:
Thaw 1/2-3/4 cup blueberries in microwave for about 45 seconds. Divide between 2 bowls.
Add 1 spoonful of wheat germ and 1 spoonful of milled flaxseed to each bowl.
Boil 1 cup water with about a tablespoon of butter. Add 1/2 cup old fashioned oats and cook about 5 minutes. (It looks disgusting to me at this point, but hang with me.)
Pour oatmeal over berries in each bowl. Add a spoonful of brown sugar to each bowl.
Stir and eat.
If I'm making it just for me, I divide this in half. It doesn't look like much in the bowl, but I'm full until lunch. Nothing sticks with me like this does.
Happy eating!
Thanks, Rachel!
I'm so glad you like it. You guys are more generous with the brown sugar, but I'm sure its even better that way! ;)
ReplyDeleteI am glad you like it, too, 'cause now you can eat my share. Blueberries don't help me - I loathe them as well. I'll stick with my dry Honey Bunches of Oats!
ReplyDelete