When I look back on my childhood, there are so many things I am thankful for.
The first is that the Catholic faith was passed on to me. The richness, the traditions, the beauty; I am still in awe of all of it.
The second is my amazing, amazing mother (who continues to be so) and my family.
The third is Katherine.
Katherine and I have been friends since pre-k. In Kindergarten, her mother commented to my mother, "They are the type of friends that will be in each other's weddings." She was right.
There is no event in our lives, major or minor, joyful or sorrowful, that we have not walked through together. We can talk every day or once a month and it's like no time has passed. In fact, we're ususally trying to call each other at the same time. My first child was born at 3:32 in the afternoon; I had a missed call on my cell phone from Katherine at 3:32. She didn't even know I was in labor!
Katherine is constant to me. She is the sister I never had. She is one of my safe places...the friend I can talk to about anything and be accepted and loved.
One of the coolest things is that we married men who get along so well. Phil and Jeff are so alike in so many ways! When they come to town, Jeff gets so excited to see my kids, to the point that he has come to visit them without me or Katherine even here. That is such a gift to me.
I had the amazing pleasure of being in Shreveport right after they had their first child just a few short weeks ago. I was actually the first to hold her after they did! We laughed. We cried. We reminisced. We worked on breastfeeding (well, she did!) and swaddling. We kept Jeff calm, or somewhat calm!
It was so special to see her experience what I know she was made for. Katherine has been a mother since she was about four years old, and to see her with her very own was witnessing God's mighty hand. It was a blessing to be able to tell her, "I promise, you will feel better after a shower. I know it doesn't feel like it, but tomorrow will be better. I promise, Caroline will learn to breastfeed. I promise, you won't break her!"
Thank you, God, for this friendship. I pray this type of friendship for my own children.
Love you, P.
No comments:
Post a Comment