Those of you who know our son know that he lives to talk and ask questions. Seriously, the boy hardly ever has a quiet moment, and those moments usually only occur while he's listening to an answer of a question he's just posed. One of his many talents is that he never forgets anything anybody tells him. Like ever. It's pretty incredible. The talking and questioning don't usually bother me unless we're in the car. This is when the questioning is like rapid-fire, and I can't get away from it. After several minutes, I usually tell him that it's time to stop the questioning until we get home or wherever we're headed. It usually works, and he either gets quiet or he starts imparting all sorts of random knowledge to Mary-Grace.
Well last night we were on our way home from a barbecue at my dad and stepmom's house about 30 minutes away; my mom was with us. The Star Wars line of questioning ensued. He is obsessed with all things Star Wars, but since he has never seen the movie, he relies on answers from other people to explain it to him. And he leaves no question unasked. I'm sure he'll be totally let down by the movie when he sees it because he'll have totally over analyzed it by then.
After several minutes of this, I told him to stop. He replied, "But Mom, I love to talk!" I told him to stop with the questions, and he did. But he started with the noise effects... shooting, banging, etc., you know, boy noises. This makes me insane in the car, mostly because it involves lots of spitting. I told him to stop. He obeyed.
About five minutes later, he started up again. The following conversation occurred:
M: Jacob, no more questions!
J: Mommy, it was just a commercial. (meaning his break from talking was like a commercial break)
Hysterical laughter followed by all adults in the van.
Jacob followed with more noises, and then said, "Mommy, I just have all these questions banging in my head and I have to get them out!" More noises. "Oh, and the noises too!"
That sweet boy. He's too smart for his own good!
Boys! Always loud, talking and spitting.
ReplyDeleteOh the joys!
Love your blog!
I'm linking you!!