Monday, November 28, 2011

Monday, First Week of Advent

We decided to start doing our Advent wreath over breakfast and saving our Jesse Tree for evening prayer. This way, we're guaranteed to all be together at least twice for prayer.

As I was planning for Advent a few weeks ago, I wanted to come up with a really simple treat to have everyday that the kids would remember made this time even more special.  I decided on hot chocolate...simple, affordable, they LOVE it, and we only make it on occasion.  At first, I thought I'd have it waiting for them each morning at breakfast, but I decided to save it for morning snack.  So, we'll get our basic school work done as well as a few chores, and then around 10:45, we'll have hot chocolate, a snack, and open our picture book of the day.  It works out beautifully to fill little tummies just enough before we head to noon Mass.
Ava opened today's book...
...which was met with squeals of "I LOVE this book!"


Annelise had her first hot chocolate

We played Zingo, Uno, and Banangrams
No rules...just trying to play without meltdowns!

Mary-Grace and I worked on this board.....tears avoided!
It was a super day.  We ended it with karate and gumbo made with leftover Thanksgiving turkey.  I didn't get pictures, but the girls and I picked up and organized their room, redressed and accessorized their American Girl dolls.  Annelise and I played babies.  It was refreshing to just put off so much that needed doing and just be present and play with my kiddos.  Oh, and I folded mountains of laundry and taught Ava to fold socks in the process.  She thinks that's the greatest job ever, and I love having a buddy to fold with.


1 comment:

  1. You are so wise, my girl. All they want is you - the stuff is so unimportant. It is time with you they will remember and cherish.

    ReplyDelete