Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Daybook--Third Week of Ordinary Time

Outside My Window...rain, rain, and more rain.  
I am Listening to...a noisy toy.  Annelise is playing while the kids clean up the kitchen from breakfast.
I am wearing ...It seems I always do my daybook on the day I wear my yoga pants and black shirt, and today's the day.  Pilates resumes at nap time!
I am Thankful For...a Holy Hour on Saturday mornings, faithful priests, and amazing, godly friendships.
I am Pondering, listening, watching...I've been listening to the Divine Mercy Chaplet while stringing rosaries.  It's so beautiful and filling and relaxing.  I'm pondering a lot...
I am Reading...I Believe in Love.  I think I'll read one chapter a week and force myself to really soak it in.  I was given this book for Christmas in 1997.  I read a few chapters (I only know this because I highlighted some of it), but it was a bit spiritually advanced for me at the time.  Now, it's exactly what I need.  I'm also working on Voyage of the Dawn Treader and Smart Martha.
From the Kitchen... biscuits, bread, chicken in the crockpot (I remembered to plug it in this time.)
I am Thinking...about something an acquaintance said to me six years ago.  "It's so awesome when my friends are being obedient to God's will because it makes it so much easier and desirable for me to be obedient to His will."  And I am experiencing this right now, and she was SO right.
I am Creating...hats and scarves.
On the Learning Front...the basics, history, lots of read alouds.  I'm still mulling over next year's plans.
Towards Rhythm and Beauty...I've made it a habit to light a candle first thing in the morning.  I turn on music in the kitchen much more often.  Finding a moment to stop for quiet seems much easier when other senses are fulfilled.
Toward Personal Care...I had a great eating day yesterday.  I'm hopeful that today will follow suit.  Today I'm trying to drink lots more water and get in my Pilates.
Living the Liturgical Year at Home...right now we're sticking to our morning prayer routine.  It's going really well.  We're going to memorize Psalm 8 next, and we're reading through the Gospel of Mark.  We're still reading Devotional Stories for Little Folks, and there are many mornings that I get choked up reading it out loud.  These stories are sparking lovely discussions.
I am Hoping and Praying...for pregnant friends, many special intentions, wisdom for us and for friends on many different fronts, and I'm so thankful for answered prayer.
Around the House...we are status quo, and that's good enough.  Laundry is flowing, kitchen is picked up, bathrooms are clean.  And I'm thinking about this from Elizabeth:
"The older my baby, the cleaner my house. I hope I never, ever forget this fact. I hate didactic admonitions all about how if you just get your act together, your house can look like Pottery Barn. The reality is that if I really am tuned into my baby and I really have my priorities straight, the house will be a little "in process" most of the time. And the rest of the time? It will be a mess.
But now, it's rarely a mess. And it's often quite clean. But I don't want to pat myself on the back and have any illusions that it's because I've at last mastered all those housekeeping details. The reality is that my kids are older. Period."

One of My Favorite Things...the way Annelise ADORES Ava.  Yesterday morning, she followed me into Ava's room, popped herself up next to Ava's bed, and began squealing and screeching with delight.  These little sisters are a delight to each other.
My Kids This Week...have cabin fever and need to run around outside.  Jacob had scouts last night, and Mary-Grace has art today which will help some.  However, given the nasty weather, they've been playing together very nicely.  Yesterday they played several rounds of Zingo, lots of dolls, and Star Wars people.  But they are ready to burn some energy.
A Few Plans for the Rest of the Week...Phil and I are attending a day retreat on Saturday, so the kids will be with grandparents.  Everyone's excited!
A Picture Thought I'm sharing...
Our king cake from Epiphany...it was so good!  I want to play around with the filling for next time.

Annelise showing off her mad building skills.

Look at those tippy toes!  She is reaching everywhere now!  We have to make sure everything is scooted back or she'll get it.  We also didn't realize how tall she is because she was always sitting down!

I was cleaning the girls' room last week and walked in to find this.  I swear she thought she was nursing that baby!  I've never had a girl do this so young, although I haven't nursed any of them this long either.

Aunt Mari...my big girls are smitten.

If Ava is within reach and still, you can bank on Annie being right there with her.

Cheesecake stuffed chocolate cupcake with vanilla buttercream.  Heaven on a plate.


1 comment:

  1. like water for my soul; it's always refreshing to read your writing. I like growing old(er) with you ;-)

    ReplyDelete